Cumin (जीरा): 23 Amazing Benefits| (Cuminum cyminum) | Intro| Usages
Cumin (जीरा) (Cuminum cyminum) Introduction:
Cumin (जीरा) is a small herb plant growing up to 30-50 cm in height. Cumin (जीरा) (Cuminum cyminum) stem is 20-30 cm long in dark green colored and its leaves are compound and alternative whereas its fruits cremocarp are green but turn into grey when they start ripening and its seeds are yellow-brown in color.
it is of three types- White, black (श्याम) and wild. We all are familiar with white cumin as it is used as spices in the kitchen because it adds aroma and taste to food. Its seeds and fruits are used for remedy.
Jeera cumin Common Names
Cumin is a good remedy for digestive canal disorders. Cumin is used as a remedy for flatulence, indigestion, vomiting, diarrhea, dysentery and etc. Krishna jeera is also the same type of cumin.
Cumin is cultivated throughout India and mostly in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan & Punjab. Charak has described its medicinal uses for Diarrhoea, Respiratory problems, Cough, CSOM, Veneral diseases, Colic pain, shirovirechana (शिरोविरेचन).
Cumin (जीरा) Ayurvedic Properties
Cumin (जीरा) Medicinal benefits and Usages
- Mix cumin seeds’ powder with the fresh juice of lemon, applying the paste of it on the head will kill all lice.
Cumin (जीरा) for Eye diseases
- Take 7 gm black cumin and mix it in boiled half-liter water and make the हिमफाण्ट of it, washing eyes from that water will increase vision. White cumin can also be taken instead of black cumin.
- Just grind leaves of cumin, cotton, and Amla in cold water, tie these on the head for 20-21 days will help in Night-blindness.
Catarrh/Coryza (सर्दी/नजला) –
- burn the black cumin and smelling its smoke will help in old cold.
Bleeding from the nose (नाक से खून आना)-
- Dropping one drop of cumin leaves’ fresh juice in the nose will stop the bleeding of the nose.
Cumin (जीरा) for Toothache-
- Doing gargle by black cumin decoction will suppress toothache.
- Mix 5 gm cumin in ghee and put it on Smocking pipe (chillum/चिलम) & doing smoking from it will stop hiccup.
- Make the 20 ml फाण्ट of cumin, drinking this will help in cough.
Cumin For Diarrhea(दस्त)-
- Roast 5gm cumin and grind, mix it in curd, drinking this will help in diarrhea.
Cumin (जीरा) for child’s diarrhea Diarrhea(दस्त)-
- A child’s diarrhea can be stopped by roasting and grinding to cumin, then mix it in one spoon of water and give to the child twice a day for 3 days.
Helminth(पेट के कीड़े)-
- Boil 15 gm cumin in 400 ml water and make 1/4 ( चतुथांश) remaining decoction, feeding 25-40 ml in the morning & evening will kill all the worms of the stomach.
- Make the bougie (बत्ती)* of cumin by wrapping it in silk cloth, smelling its smoke through the nose will stop vomiting.
- Just soak 3gm cumin in 3ml lemon juice and mix 3 gm salt in it, taking this will help in anorexia.
Digestive insufficiency –
- Taking fried ghee of cumin and coriander paste before half an hour of meal in morning & evening will help in Digestive insufficiency.
Cumin (जीरा) for Vomiting(उल्टी)-
- Take the powder of cumin and rock (सेंधा) salt twice a day will suppress smell from mouth, vomiting, anorexia and etc.
- Cumin also helps in Coeliac & hyperacidity.
- When warts of hemorrhoids start coming out from the anus and get swelled, then just boil black cumin in water, embrocating from this water will help in hemorrhoids.
- Grind krishna cumin (कृष्ण जीरा) in water and apply this paste on warts of hemorrhoids will help in hemorrhoids.
Cumin (जीरा) for Dysuria (Pain or difficulty in urination)-
- Make the decoction of Krishna cumin and mix 15-30 ml mishri, drinking this will help in dysuria.
Cumin for Breasts-
- Make the porridge by mixing cumin in ghee, which will help to increase the breast.
Swelling in the uterus-
- Make sit lady in black cumin decoction, will help in reducing the swelling of uterus. (White cumin can also be taken instead of black cumin.)
- Take 5gm cumin powder, 10gm mishri powder and feed it with rice water in morning & evening will help.
Cumin (जीरा) for Paralysis-
- Applying cumin after grinding will help in lower body parts paralysis.
Cumin (जीरा) For Overall body-
- Burnt from fire
- Remittent fever
- Vaat (वात) disorder
- Scabies/ Eczema
Useful Parts of Cumin (जीरा):
Dosage of Cumin (जीरा):
- Powder- 2-5gm
- Capsule/tablet – 1-2 capsule twice a day
** Above Post is for Information Purposes, data are collected from various literature or experiences of many physicians (vaidya). Please do consult your doctor before trying. **