18 Benefits of Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (काली मिर्च) | Introduction | Common Names | Benefits | Usages | Gallery
Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (काली मिर्च) Introduction
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) is widely used as a spice in India. In the forest black pepper gets get cultivated automatically but in South India’s cold & tropical climate area its vines are sown. Maximum two yields can be taken from it, First in August-September and second in March-April. In the market, it is sold as white pepper and black pepper. White pepper is the modification of black pepper. Immature fruits are sold as black pepper.
|Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (काली मिर्च) Introduction|
The vernacular name of Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
|Black Pepper Common Names|
Its fruits are of 6 mm in diameter, round-shaped, and are in a group. The dried fruit of pepper is called black pepper. The fruit of black pepper is known as a peppercorn. And its seeds are round and hard. Its flowering time is from July to August and the fruiting time is October to February. Vietnam is number one in the production of black pepper.
Black pepper has been used as spices and natural remedies for many diseases. It helps in suppressing Headache, toothache, lice of the head, Nasal disorders, Cough, Diarrhoea, helminth, arthritis, dysuria, etc.
|Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (का ली मिर्च) Benefits|
Its fruits contain Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat, Mineral nutrition, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Thymine, Riboflavin, Vitamin-A, Piperine (Responsible for Spiciness). It has the property of antibacterial & anti-inflammatory and may also help in reducing appetite.
|Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (काली मिर्च) Ayurvedic Properties|
Medicinal benefits and Usages of Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) for headache
- As black pepper is having the property of anti-inflammatory which acts as a simple pain reliever and gets you a rid-of headache.
- Keep the one black pepper on the tip of a needle and burn it on the flame of a lamp, when it starts to produce smoke then smelling this smoke will help in suppressing hiccough and headache.
- Applying the paste of Rice’s water with black pepper on the forehead will help in suppressing headache & migraine.
Lice of head & etc
- Take 12 seeds of custard apple & 6 black pepper pieces and mix these in the oil of mustard then apply this paste on the head before sleeping up to the roots of hair & wash in the morning, all the lice will be removed.
|18 benefits of Black pepper (Piper nigrum), (काली मिर्च)|
- If you are facing the problem of hair fall due to ringworm then grind black pepper with onion & salt and applying this will be beneficial.
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) for Nasal disorders
- Coryza (Stuffy Nose)- Drink hot milk with 2 gm powder of black pepper & mishri will be helpful in coryza.
- Coryza (Stuffy Nose)- Mix 50 gm curd, 20 gm jaggery, and 1-1.5 gm black pepper powder together, and taking this thrice a day will be helpful for coryza.
- Rhinitis (Swelling in the nose)– Consuming 2 gm black pepper with jaggery and curd will be beneficial in rhinitis.
- Blindness– Mix black pepper with curd and doing eyewash from this will be helpful in Night blindness disorder. ( Be very careful while doing this).
- Better Eyesight-Eat 1 spoon of desi ghee with 1/2 gm powder of black pepper will be very helpful for many eyes related disorders.
- Better Eyesight- Consuming black pepper with ghee and mishri in the morning will be very beneficial for improving eyesight.
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) for Pimples
- If there is any pimple of the eyelid then rub the black pepper in water applying this paste on the eyelid will help in removing pimples.
- Toothache- Grind 1-2 gm black pepper powder with 4 leaves of blackberries or leaves of guava, doing gargle from this will beneficial for toothache. It will also help to suppress throat related disorders too.
- Black pepper has the quality of antibacterial which helps in suppressing cold, cough, and chest pain.
- Cough, cold, and asthma- Mix 2-3 gm black pepper powder with honey & ghee, licking this in morning & evening will help in removing cold, cough, asthma, chest pain and cough of lungs will come out too.
- Cough- Cook 2 gm black pepper in 200 ml cow’s milk feeding this will be beneficial for respiratory cough.
- Cough- If someone gets cough again and again & has the problem while swallowing food then doing gargle from its decoction will be helpful.
- Cough-Do sucks 2-3 back pepper if you are having sore throat and cough, this will give benefits.
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) for Abdominal disorders
- Due to having the property of piperine it helps in promoting HCl in the abdomen to digest protein and improves digestion. With this, it also helps in reducing weight as it increases metabolism and also reduces appetite.
- Mix 1/2 black pepper powder, 1/4 gm asafoetida, and 100 mg opium, take this either with water or honey in the morning, afternoon & evening will be beneficial in Diarrhoea.
- Take 2 gm black pepper powder with 1 cup of buttermilk in the early morning will remove the helminth of the stomach.
- Grind 8 black pepper with 5 gm leaves of Shirisha (शिरीष) plant, drink this after purifying will help in suppressing abdominal inflammation and pain.
- Hemorrhoids (Piles)– Mix 2 gm black pepper powder, 1 gm roasted cumin, 15 gm honey together, taking this twice with buttermilk or hot water will be beneficial for hemorrhoids.
- Rectal prolapse– Taking 1 gm black pepper powder with honey 3 times in a day will stop the anus to comes out.
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) for Bones related problems
- Arthritis, Pruritus, and Paralysis- Having the massage from oil extracted from black pepper are highly beneficial in arthritis, pruritus, and paralysis.
- Wrinkles and Pimples: Black pepper can be beneficial for skin skin-related disorders and also helps to improve skin by removing pimples and wrinkles and also provides more oxygen to the skin.
- Pimples- Grind black pepper with water and applying this paste on furuncles will help in removing it.
- Urticaria(शीतपित)– Mix black pepper powder in ghee and having the massage of it will help in urticaria disorder.
Overall body-related disorders
Note- Use of Black pepper is prohibited for Ulcer, hyperacidity, and during pregnancy.
Useful parts of Black pepper (Piper nigrum):
- Dried Fruit
- Powder- 200mg – 2.5gm in divided dose
- Capsule / tablet – 1-2 capsule twice a day
** Above Post is for Information Purposes, data are collected from various literature or experiences of many physicians (vaidya). Please do consult your doctor before trying. **