Do There are Best Before or expiry dates in Ayurvedic medicines??
Ayurvedic Medicines Best Before
|Best Before of Churna and Raw Herbs|
- Collected from farms or forests will give the best results for 1 year.
Single herb blend or Simple Churna
- gives best results for 3 months, for example, ashwagandha churna, amla churna
- Blend of herbs with salts or asafetida or Mercury will best for 6 months, for eg. (putting in a glass airtight container will help to keep its medicinal value for even longer)
|Best Before of Asava and Arishth
- Fermented liquid medicine contains self-generated alcohol. Asava Arishth is free from Expiry dates as its potency increases as it ages, Usually written 10 years over most pharmacy’s bottles.
|Best Before of Kwath And Kashaya
Kwath (Churana) (Herbal Tea)(Blend of Herbs)
- Kwath: best before 2 years
- Syrup made by boiling herbs for a long time. Kashayam is prescribed by scriptures and vaidyas 6 months -3 years depends upon type and method of preparation
- Kashayam (decoction) – decoction made at home must be taken immediately
|Best Before of Vati, Guti, Avleh, Ark, Tail in Ayurveda
Tablet (vati, gutika, guggul)
- tablets prepared from Herbal Ingredients: best before 2-3 years
Herbal Jam(Avleh, Leham)
- Syrup made by boiling herbs for a long time.
- Avleh(leham)- best before 3 years
Ark (Herbal extracts)
- Liquid extract by distilling herb(s)
- Ark – Best before 1 year
Ayurvedic Tail (Herbal Oils)
- 3 years
|Best Before of Grit, Lavan, Eye Drops and Bhasm|
- 2 years
- 4-5 years
- 2-3 years
1 month (if placed in an airtight container 1 year)
- 10 years(gold bhasm potency increases as it ages)